Have you ever dabbled with mixed media art? We love mixed media art and the ability to play with and explore a variety of mediums. The ‘Love’ piece we are showing you this week was created on canvas using a variety of inks, papers, and finishes. It has visual dimension as well as actual dimension. Can you spot the BARC wood? In this particular piece we used BARC Cherry wood, BARC White Birch wood, BARC Rustic Cherry Wood and BARC Cherry Wood Tape. BARC wood is so versatile and adds another layer of variety—we love it!
BARC wood is an excellent surface to add to any project. We hope you’ve been inspired by our mixed media piece. Give BARC Wood and BARC Wood Tape a try on your next work of art.
Supplies for the ‘Love’ Mixed Media art: 11×14 canvas, BARC Cherry Wood Sheet, BARC White Birch Wood Sheet, BARC Rustic Cherry Wood Sheet, BARC Cherry Wood Tape, tissue paper, PanPastel painting set, sponges, paint brushes, various tags in various sizes, old book pages, burlap, white paper, jewel embellishments, black gel pen, black stazon ink, gold ink, white acrylic paint, black acrylic paint, tulle, ribbon, alphabet stamps, electronic cutter, word cut files, gold heart window sheet embellishments, variety of texture and background stamps, texture stencils, modgepodge, hot glue, adhesive, spray fixative, and scissors.
Tips for creating a mixed media piece:
1. Pick a sturdy and solid base that can handle many layers and possibly weight.
2. Work in layers. Allow each layer sufficient drying time. Some mediums take longer to dry than others and you may need to wait a few hours before you can proceed to the next layer.
3. Spray fixative is your friend. Use between layers to keep layers from bleeding.
4. Collage, collage, collage.
5. Try new things (techniques, textures, mediums, etc) play and have fun. There is no right or wrong way to create. If you don’t like a particular layer, go over it again (and again) until you are pleased with your work.